CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 18, 2006

The Sister/Friend Theory...what do you think?

OK, I have come up with a theory. Please reply and let me know what you think.
I have a theory that women who have sisters they are close to, do not have lots of other female friends that they are really close to. I mean, we have friends, but not like those who do not have sisters. Does this make sense?
For instance, I have no desire to go to a class reunion. Neither do my sisters. But I wouldn't dare miss a family reunion with them! And I talk to them constantly, even though one is so far away.
And I noticed that my cousin Lori has the same lack of interest. She is also a product of three girls in a family.
So, it is my theory that women with sisters they like don't have the closeness of female friends because their sisters always have been and always will be their best friends.
What do you think?

By the way...the more I read Lori's blog, the stranger it is. I hardly ever see her, yet we are so similar. For those of you who don't understand the family tree, Tom is my mom's brother and Barb is my dad's sister. After my parents met, they hooked Tom and Barb up. I have two sisters and am smack in the middle. Tom and Barb had three girls, Kara, Lori and Lisa. Lori is smack in the middle. I think it is that middle girl thing. Weird, huh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good insight. Back when Lori was "whining" about never getting her own clothes, I had to tie my hands so I wouldn't comment on the middle child thing. Glad you said it. So what was the b irthday weekend? MOM

~Lori said...

I'm whining? Please.=) haha

Anyway, first of all, I'm thinking the same thing. The more I read your blog, Brenda, I'm convinced that we are more alike than I had realized! You're right, must be the middle child thing.

As for the girl-friend thing, growing up, I didn't have a bunch of girl friends, just one or two. I did have a lot of guy friends though, and I know Kara did too. (I can't remember if Lisa did because I was in Michigan when she was in High School). Same thing in college. I wonder if that's because we had all the girls at home already?
Now, I'm 28 and I do have a close group of girl friends that I do things with on a regular basis- we all work at the salon, so that's part of it, I'm sure, because we spend so much of our time together.

But even so, if I am going to do somthing, go shopping, etc., the first person I call to go along w/ is Kara (and Lisa if she's in town!). Guess sisters just always outrank everyone else! =)

A Fresh Wind Children's Ministry said...

I'll provide the insight from the life of a woman with no sisters. I agree. I love to do things with my girl friends and always have. I tend to think of my girl friends as sisters and have a few that I treat like a sister (we steal each others clothes and sight over silly things)! I have, in fact, already thought about the fact that I won't be around for my 10th class reunion, because I would definitely go!

A Fresh Wind Children's Ministry said...

ok, I can't spell...that's supposed to say "FIGHT over silly things". If I had a sister, she'd have proofread it for me.

Amy Covey said...

You know...I think you're on to something. I always have had friends...but not anyone I'm really, really close to like you and Jill. (and Lori, I always had a bunch of guy friends in HS and college too. I think I was trying to fill that "brother void" I had!) If I have something to share, I always call or email Brenda or Jill first. If I need advice, I go to them first. I think that's why I hate the fact that you two live so far away...I can't tell you how many times I find myself saying things to Chris like "I wish Brenda or Jill lived closer...I'd call them up to come hang out with me tonite" Or... "If Brenda and Jill lived closer, I'd see if they wanted to go shopping/to a movie/to dinner". I hate that I don't have that person in Van Wert (or close by). Lori - be thankful that Kara lives so close and Lisa is within driving distance. Seperate states just stinks. On that sad note...I'm off to bed. :)

The Mighty Stuber Brood said...

Um, husband, two boys, two brothers growing up...Brenda, can I come live with you again?

Anonymous said...

Well, I love Barb & copied most of what she did growing up,but I also had a lot of girl friends in my youth. Also, I've been to all but my 5th reunion & was looking forward to one this year, which didn't happen. So I had a mini reunion with 2 who've been my buds since 1st grade. Now I rarely have girls nights, & none in Huron. Thus, I have plenty of time to comment!