CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 14, 2007

What else could go wrong???

Yesterday I picked Marcus up from the high school. He was in a UIL competition and was pretty mad he didn't make it to the finals because he thought he did great. Then I let him take the girls into the local convenient store to get treats. His drumstick had melted and refroze so it was all messed up. He said "Great. What else could go wrong?'
So I thought about it.
Scott has pneumonia and has been in bed all week, the girls are a handful, the weather is ridiculous...complain, complain, complain..."
So I told Marcus a few things.
Lately people around me are having some tragedies as usual and even though life is stressful and tough, it is really good.
My good friend Kierstan got a desperate call from her dad yesterday that he was very sick and needed her to come help him get to the hospital. She was so scared for him. They don't know what's wrong...his next step is a colonoscopy. Kierstan's husband has been in Iraq since Last October and is finally about a month from coming home. Her mother passed away last time Martin was in Iraq. Pray for her!
A girl at my school, who happens to be the reigning Miss Teen Texas got into an accident at lunchtime with her sister. Her little Pontiac convertible lost control and ran into a tree. She is in the hospital. Both girls have skull fractures. Sommer also has a pelvic fracture, a fractured vertabrae, a fractured eye socket and had neurosurgery to relieve pressure in her brain. They had to shave her head and she had the most gorgeous head of hair I have ever seen. Pray for her family!
Three of my closest friends have husbands in Iraq right now and it is so hard for them. Two will return home soon, but most likely after christmas. They were gone last christmas too. The other on just left last week and will miss his oldest son's graduation this spring.
And then I got the Covey's Christmas letter in the mail explaining their tough year with such grace.

So I have come to the conclusion that life is tough but God is tougher. I am so grateful for everything I have. There are so many to pray for. Don't forget about them, because God is listening and can do miracles!

7 comments:

Jill said...

I hear you sister!! I know we have sick babies and husbands right now, and Amy and I complain that our husbands are so busy with basketball, but at least our ailments will heal quickly, and our husbands are still local - not in a war in Iraq. I too got the Covey letter and was wondering, before I opened, how they'd explain their past year. I'm not sure I would have come out sounding so positive. We have great families and overall, great health, so we are very fortunate. I never heard that she had her head shaved for sure, so that's got to be about as hard for her as the injuries.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting it all in perspective. It sure puts my complaints in a whole new light and makes me appreciate what I take for granted. We are really blessed.MOM

Amy Covey said...

Isn't it amazing how sometimes you think things really can't get any worse in your little, selfish world...and then someone else's story puts it all into perspective for you. This past year has been an ongoing perspecitive adjustment for us. I'm anxious to read the Covey letter...we're still waiting on ours. :) I'm so sorry to hear about Sommer. You really, really need to consider switiching schools FAST. It's just not a lucky place to work!

Anonymous said...

I was really encouraged by your response to all that is happening in your life. Reaffirms our opinion that we are also blessed with three great daughters and families. My favorite verse when I feel sorry for my situation is 1 Thessalonians 5:16 ...Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances; for this in God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Dad

Anonymous said...

Amen! If anyone can attest to the power of prayer, I'm sure you can. A young woman I work with told her husband at the Christmas party that I'm always in a good mood. Well, not entirely true, but why shouldn't I be? By the way, good bit of mothering there! I hope Scott's feeling better and will pray for your friends and students. I'm sure living around the base makes you especially grateful for your (relatively) stable life. By the way, what's UIL?

~Lori said...

So true, it really puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Well said, Brenda! Most of my thoughts have already been stated by other bloggers, especially in your Dad's scripture verse. That is the one that gives me peace and joy daily! (I entered this comment earlier, but it didn't show up, so I'm trying again.) I hope you all have a healthy, relaxing Christmas together! Aunt Barb